To get ready for my arrival, Mom to go on a liquid diet for 10 days.
The reason a lot of surgeons request this is because the patient may have an enlarged liver or raised liver enzyme count and this helps correct that before surgery. Liquid diets are nothing when you think of the outcome - a successful, easy surgery!
Here are the things she was allowed during this phase:
- Water, Decaf coffee, sugar-free ice tea
- Carnation Instant Breakfast (low-sugar - she was diabetic)
- Cream Soups - strained of any veggies or other chunkies
- Ensure, Boost
- Skim Milk, Soy Milk
- Sugar-Free pudding, jello, popsicles
- Sugar-Free applesauce
- Sugar-Free yogurt or greek yogurt
- Protein shakes
- Crystal Light (any flavor)
- Sugar-Free Hot Cocoa
- Bouillon - I liked the vegetarian version best
Note: A lot of these drinks are NOT good as post-op because they have way too much sugar and other baddies - don't overstock them thinking you'll be drinking them later!
Final 24 Hours - clear liquid only!
- Crystal Light (white grape, nothing colored)